February 09, 2006

Poker and Poker Accessories

I have been getting into poker lately so last night I bought a tabletop poker playing surface from Wal-Mart on sale for only $17. I got home and opened it up and it was pretty poor quality, so I quickly returned it. I am not exactly sure what I was expecting. I think I am just going to buy some cheap green felt and lay it over my dinning room table. I am not sure why I want a green felt surface to play on. I guess somehow it seems to make the game more fun when you build up the atmosphere and mood by using good chips and a good playing surface. Perhaps I can pull the felt tight and tape it to the bottom of the table. That might be better than the table cloth look of just draping the felt over the table. Then when I am finished I can simply roll up the felt up and store it.

Unfortunately I don’t know enough people who have an interest in poker to get games together myself. I usually have to wait until someone invites me.

*Update* 2/10/2006
I went to a fabric store today and bought a sheet of red felt (72x48in) for about $7. The shade of green they had looked kind of cheap so I went with red which I think looks really nice. Perhaps at some point I will look into a cheap method to make removable padded railing. This will also be used to tighten and hold down the felt.

2 Comments:

I've wanted to get into poker but figured I needed someone to play with. Right now I know about zilch on it. Now if we lived closer we'd have our own group.
posted by Blogger Christian D. at 9:13 AM  
Poker is great. It is a very social game. Unfortunately the hard part is getting enough people together to play. It takes at least 4 people, preferably 6 to 8 to make it worth while.
posted by Blogger Interblogger at 8:40 PM